不可叫人小看你年輕,總要在言語、行為、愛心、信心、清潔上,都做信徒的榜樣。提摩太前書4:12

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

颶風的這一天

這一天的自己,胡思亂想了很多很多。

上個星期發生的事,這個星期的爆颶風 ,被提醒了生命可貴。

紀念著身處在遠方體驗生活的友人,好想知道那是甚麼樣的感覺。離鄉背井的生活,享受嗎?大學後的自己,想要怎樣的生活?從前好享受獨自一人在房間裡聽著音樂做著自己喜歡的事情。現在好像有點不同了。看著窗外的落葉,被大風吹得凌亂凌亂的。自己卻莫名其妙地羨慕著落葉,滿股衝勁地想跑出外面在雨中奔跑。奇怪吧?這或許就是燕儀潛意識對現況的感受。慢慢地長大,發現生活有著越來越多的約束。不喜歡這樣的約束,卻沒辦法改變,這就是現實嗎?這社會,這文化,這環境,某程度上就像這
颶風,吹得很多很多的年輕人無定向地不停旋轉。隨風而飄的生活,有意義嗎?不願隨波逐流的這些,要怎樣才能堅強起來?要活得有意義就要鼓起勇氣作出犧牲。
“所以弟兄們,
我以神的慈悲勸你們,
將身體獻上,
當作活祭,是聖潔的,是神所喜悅的;
你們如此事奉乃是理所當然的。
要效法這個世界,
只要心意更新而變化,
叫你們察驗何為神的善良、純全、可喜悅的旨意。”
羅馬書12:1-2

看完[The Human Experience]這部紀錄片,真感動。
原來自己有些經歷被遺忘了,有些熱情被忙碌的生活熄滅了 :/
難怪近來總有這樣的感覺:心裡老是差了一點點東西。。。

The Human Experience 鼓舞人心的語錄(inspiring, encouraging quotes):
  1. Experience I: Homeless in New York
  • "People take granted in life"
  • "You can't say that everyone's bad; everyone has something that happened to them"
  • "people did not want the dog to be frozen to death... they let me standing there" By an old homeless woman.
    (one of the reasons why I sometimes raise my eyebrows when people treat their pet better than another human being)
  • "Because they are not living it, not experiencing it... I am homeless and I am happy"
    (this echoes an experience I heard from an homeless man I met this past Spring during Freshman Leadership Project)
  • "Why is life worth living?"
    "People become depressed because the part of them that sustain hope is broken"
    "the nature of life is to be hopeful" - a medical doctor
  • "I am here for a purpose. I do not know what that purpose is"
    "Everyone has faults."
    "I am here to help and to ask for help"- a homeless man from the soup kitchen
  • Jeff, the main narrator, shares his insights:
    "homelessness = vulnerability, might causes embarrassment, led to humility."
  • "We have a heart, body, mind and soul"
    (My thought: while people often ask, "why can't they just get a job and support themselves?" I was reminded that these homeless people mostly do not have any government issue IDs. Employers are most likely to judge them by the way how they are dressed/sometimes smelled. My take: Don't expect others to live up to your standard. Their incapability of meeting your expectation does not imply their failure. Why can't we think of ways to make their lives easier?)
  • "Experience is a teacher"
  • "Human experience define how we communicate"
  • "Ideas are abstractions and thoughts, they need to root in reality"
  • A community of homeless people
    (Just some thoughts regarding to my own experience:
    行別人行的路,以別人的經歷為標準,
    我不甘心(這樣活著);
    慢慢體會到這社會的分離;
    “rather to be hate for who you are, than to be loved for who you are not";)
  • "We must rapidly begin the shift from a 'thing-oriented' society to a 'person-oriented' society"- Martin Luther King Jr.

       2. Experience II: Visiting Children's Home in Lima, Peru

  • "Anybody can do what I do at Emory"
    "If I didn't do it, I would regret for the rest of my life"
    - Dr. Tong who decided to give up his nice house, car, job to be with the marginalized children in Lima, Peru. *Full Respect*
  • Jeff's sharing:"bad experience growing up, bad father figure, a stranger"
  • "vulnerable and innocent, father takes advantages of her (little girl)"
  •  "It's not what we give them, it's what they give to us. ...because they give us the reason to live"
    "The joy of living- these children wanted to live, did not mind how painful it is"
    - Permanent volunteer Terri
  • "[people need to] look outside the box and see how mant cultures are there" - Volunteer
  • "The tears of suffering of an innocent child"
    "Every human being is looking for a meaning"
    "who are you?" - Priest
  • "I need to live, I need to get an education, I need to get a job because somebody needs us"
  • "If my life matters..." Challenging the Western way of thinking, where people are constantly competing with each other for jobs. Rejection after rejection, is one's life still matter? OF COURSE! *think outside the box*
  • "Mature people go deeper and deeper into their life purpose"
  • "Everyone can live a full life, regardless of childhood upbringing"
    (This quote is so powerful, to me personally and to many of my friends who had a difficult childhood.)
3. Experience III: Leper of Ghana (I thought lepers only happened in the Biblical time? O__O)
  • "Root of joy that permeates our life"
  • "... finding somebody [Someone=God=OnlyUnchangingOne in this world] to lean on"
  • "If you have God in your heart, you have everything. Everything else did not matter"
  • "Man's desire and need to be in relationship [with God]"
  • "Life is sacred, that is to say it is the supreme value to which all other values are subordinate" - Albert Einstein. 
  • Jeff's sharing,
    "family means everything... rejuvenate... as long you have a strong home... get healing"
  • "By giving yourself, you find yourself"
  • "Family is our strongest experience"
    "Human experience"
    "Beauty of life"
    "No matter what happen, life is still good. Life is a gift"
  • "The breathtaking reality of a new unrepeatable unprecedented adventure of human life"
  • The art of forgiveness: Jeff finally met his father after ten years of departure and told his father that he forgave him. What a powerful word: forgiveness.
    This word liberates one from the burdens of holding on to a grudge, a grudge that weights down one's soul and spirit.


    有時候情緒低落需要一個消化的過程。假如一個小孩子還沒有跌倒,父母就急忙地將孩子緊緊地抱住,小孩子就失去了體驗跌倒的感覺,也沒機會學會自己站起來。 面對著情緒低落的自己,我沒有忘記向天父求救,也沒有忘記去注意天父的回應。但凡事都有一個過程。在這過程裡,我要學會信靠天父,也要學會這過程中埋藏的人生課。或許在這過程中,我只花時間去胡思亂想,毫無價值所言,但這本身也是一堂課。這堂課就是不要浪費時間去胡思亂想。胡思亂想跟深思有著很大的區別,需要智慧去分別。而這智慧,就求天父賜給燕儀!

    今天找回遺失很久很久的基督教radio,聽著熟悉的詩歌,我的心,跟著一起歌唱。颶風挑起混亂的一切卻讓我的房間顯得特別的安寧。這樣的天氣,還真讓我特別想念這裡那裡的朋友。有很久未見面的,有剛見不久的,全好想好想 :)

    To be continued...
    #WritingRevivesMySoul

No comments:

Post a Comment