不可叫人小看你年輕,總要在言語、行為、愛心、信心、清潔上,都做信徒的榜樣。提摩太前書4:12

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Floating vs. Faith

Tonight was definitely a test of faith.
God helped me aced it.
♫♬ Hallelujah! Grace like rain... falls down on me ♫♬



At BC,
I recently decided to go to the pool whenever time permits. The motive was simple: I wanted to learn how to swim!!! Swimming such an important life skill to have and I can not allow my adventurous-self to miss out! Want to know my motivation on not giving up?--- These little kids that swam way better than me in the pool. They were having so much in the water while I struggled to keep nose above the water...

Funny story: Last thursday there was this 5-year-old kiddo being thrown into the 12 feet (note: 12 feet is the deepest part of the whole pool, I was holding my blue floater like it was my God), he was trying so hard that his facial expression changed at least 5 times in 3 seconds... kids... I adore!!!

Last friday was a milestone for me in my swimming progress: I was able to swim half a lap without stopping and able to float for at least 10 seconds!!! I was so proud of myself, so were my friends! I learned important life lessons from swimming: discipline, trust that the water will hold me up (same trust in God), and conquer my fear by believing in my own ability to accomplish anything that I set my mind to.

There are two things I really want to overcome before going to college: swimming and singing. Before, I struggled with singing more than the fear of water due to earlier bad experience and discouragements. But I think I am making significant progress as I learn to appreciate my unique voice and build up more confidence through practices.  My fear of water originated from when I was younger, I fell into this big hold filled with dirty water. I was not able to breathe and I choked. Somebody's big hand pulled me up just in time for me to survive. Thank God. But ever since then, I hate the feeling of unable to breathe, especially underwater. It makes me sick. But as I watched my friends swimming like dolphins, and my inner desire to swim like a beautiful mermaid, I overcame my fear of water. This swimming skill did not come without a price: I scratched my two right hand fingers again the pool wall, crashed my left knee underwater, drank over 1-liters of pool water, choked like crazy, and got bit 4 times on my toes from some Martha's Vineyard vicious crabs. >_____<


Regardless of all the "injuries" listed above, my overall experience for learning how to swimming is extremely positive. I can now proudly say to people: I know how to swim!!!

Swim: check!
Sing: check!

YAY.
Mission accomplished.

My next goal is to swimming at least 5 laps back and forth in the pool!

No comments:

Post a Comment