不可叫人小看你年輕,總要在言語、行為、愛心、信心、清潔上,都做信徒的榜樣。提摩太前書4:12

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Words, Words, Words: from one to another

 Words, Words, Words
"Why do you take words so seriously?" an action-oriented friend once asked me. To this friend, words are just words. They are easily manipulated and can be quite "empty". But this perspective on why words are not important and should be not taken seriously really turned me off. Yes, actions are important, but they can be just as equally deceivable. Words, in both spoken or written form, can move our souls just as much as an action. After all, the act of expressing oneself through words is an action in itself. So why not take words seriously?

If I am deeply in love with someone, every word from that person should mean much to me. Recently I haven't been living out what I preach. Hence why I am writing this out right now.  I have not been taking God's Words (aka the Bible) seriously, in a consistent basis. There are so many times when I just covered my own ears and pretend that God was not speaking to me. What a fool? I thank God that He has been very kind to me. Through my interactions with others, He constantly reminds me that I am gifted with WORDS. When I have doubts in my heart and wonder how much impact does my intangible words have on others, God dismissed all the doubts through people's words of affirmations.

Such as...through K.

K is a friend whom I met since freshman year in college. While we are aware of each other's presence in our friend groups and community, we never really have any one-on-ones to get to know each other in a deeper level. Today was the milestone of that. K reminded me of a personal story that I shared in front of 200 other freshmen during the 48 HOURS retreat. K was there on the same retreat and remembered how deeply moved she was by the story. I almost completely forgot that I did something like that. It was such a powerful reminder that words are not just words. The emotions that comes with the words can last for a life time.

Recently, I've been struggling a lot with words. Sometimes I have this urge inside my heart to just write (aka dump my scattered thoughts and express them through words) and forget about everything else. Yet at the same time, there is a fear inside my heart. There is a fear to write. I've set standards for myself to meet and place barriers for myself to overcome. But honestly, the only person who is keeping me from doing what I wanted to do is me. Odd but true. Several days ago, an epiphany came to my mind and I think I had a better idea of why I felt the way I did. This was the quote that popped up to my mind.

‘Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond imagination. It is our light more than our darkness which scares us. We ask ourselves – who are we to be brilliant, beautiful, talented, and fabulous. But honestly, who are you to not be so? 


You are a child of God, small games do not work in this world. For those around us to feel peace, it is not example to make ourselves small. We were born to express the glory of God that lives in us. It is not in some of us, it is in all of us. While we allow our light to shine, we unconsciously give permission for others to do the same. When we liberate ourselves from our own fears, simply our presence may liberate others.’ 
- Marianne Williamson in Return to Love: Reflections on a Course in Miracles 
Once again, words, words, words! Words that refreshes my spirit and keeps me going! Speaking of which, I should read the bible and pray before I head to bed...shortly!

Side note: now that I've looked up this quote, I realized that the paraphrase version I've seen around was not the original phrasing used by Marianne. This verbatim actually speaks more than to me personally because it is somewhat biblical. I am liking it so much more!!! Gonna print it out and hang in my wall!!! :)

May God bless you, my friends! If you are taking the time to read my words, out of love or curiosity, I really appreciate this opportunity to be able to communicate my thoughts through words. May my words serve as an encouragement to you as always!

This is from me to you (please read it out loud to yourself):
'My deepest fear is not that I am inadequate. my deepest fear is that I am powerful beyond imagination. It is my light more than my darkness which scares me. I ask myself – who am I to be brilliant, beautiful, talented, and fabulous. But honestly, who am I to not be so? 

I am a child of God, small games do not work in this world. For those around me to feel peace, it is not example to make myself small. I was born to express the glory of God that lives in me.

It is not in some of us, it is in all of us.

While I allow my light to shine, I unconsciously give permission for others to do the same. When I liberate myself from my own fears, simply my presence may liberate others.’ 

- Marianne Williamson in Return to Love: Reflections on a Course in Miracles (personalized*)

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment