不可叫人小看你年輕,總要在言語、行為、愛心、信心、清潔上,都做信徒的榜樣。提摩太前書4:12

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

((: An over-excited Worker :))

"do you work on Tuesdays?"
"I work on Tuesdays and Thursdays"
"oh Thursdays?"
"yes, Tuesdays and Thursdays"
"good good, we need you"

Need
Need is a very sensitive word. It touches people's heart so easily that it translates into someone appreciating your existence. The word "need" standing alone contains the meaning of wanting something, desiring something with a motive. But "need" in this context, coming from my supervisor Luisa's mouth, it became a form of appreciation.

Luisa
A smiling Spanish lady with short red hair in her early sixties, Luisa always makes me felt like work is a place where I can relax and contemplate. My work-study job is very simple, I help Luisa Linda and Alberto with drying table clothes as they prepare them for BC dinner service.

The first day I went to work, I heard familiar music from the loud speaker. Luisa confirmed my suspicion of the music being Hillsong's Inside Out song. I was so thrilled! What are the chances of me getting a job where I can freely enjoy Hillsong music, and sometimes even dance with Luisa praising God? :) Although I've only work there for a little over a month, I'd prayed, sang, exercised, danced, definitely smiled (everyday), hugged, Cheek-kissed Luisa and even learned Spanish. Praises to my Lord! Haha. Funny how Spanish actually sounds Korean to me now that I've listen to Spanish radio station almost every Tuesday and Thursday.

Luisa has a humpback that sometimes breaks my heart to see her bend down and pick up something. Whenever possible, I try to cover her job by doing extra to lessen her work load. This is actually the first time that I would allow someone to slack and I am willing to pick up the left over work. Being with Luisa reminds me to be always caring and understanding! :)

Luisa recently had a grandson. She cheerfully came up to me last week and told me that her daughter had a son. I asked what was the name. I was expecting something like Jose, Julio (how racist I am =P)... then she told me that his name was David. What a surprise! But David is good. Biblical. :) Luisa then looked up and praised God, "hallelujah, thank God" as the lines of her eyes turned into an upside down smiling curve. LOVE!!! n_n

Spiritual lenses for workI am grateful that God brought me to work there because I am able to experience a different working style. I have to admit that doing laundry work is probably the most machine-like job on campus because all I do all day is putting the wet table clothes into a drying machine and wait for it to be pressed dry into a clean soft clothes... It is a seemingly simple task and everybody is capable of doing it.

I thank God for allowing me to see beyond just the simple, machine-like working routine. Every time when I pick up a piece of wet, wrinkle clothes, I feel like that resemble us, the sinners. It is only through the presser machine that would turn us into a dry, beautiful, soft cloth. This machine is the machine of life. This life is not without struggle, the struggle to straighten oneself back to its Original form. However, there is hope. At the end, the table cloth is guarantee to look nice if proper procedure was done. And there is only one way to do it properly, that is, to constantly watch it with care and pull the cloth back to the right position once it's off. Without any of that, the cloth just become wrinkle after it's done drying.

"Hello, Sunshine"
"
Hey Boss Tom! ^_^"
"I really like your positive attitude!..."

Boss Tom is the coolest boss in the world. He sends out email with smile faces like :) and often says random stuff that can easily brush off your stress or brightens up your day. It takes one to know one. I am glad he feels the same way about me! We always have these random conversations such as running and being his favorite laundry lady (which I often kindly remind him, the laundry ladies' favorite.)

For my future job,
I want to work with people who have that kind of sense of humor and not too strict about their titles. Maybe that is why I never consider going into Business because Business people scare me. They always talk about serious business. It might only be my bias view about Business people, but oh well... I love working with friendly people like Sophia, Arthur, Jamie, Maxine who always treat me like a dear friend. :))

No comments:

Post a Comment