不可叫人小看你年輕,總要在言語、行為、愛心、信心、清潔上,都做信徒的榜樣。提摩太前書4:12

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Poetry for OTE

"like a beautiful butterfly spreading her wings 
towards the gorgeous sunflower fields"

these are the last words in my college essay

Stay beautiful, Yanyi.
No matter where you are in the future,
be yourself and stay beautiful
That's my promise for my future self


Over and over again I told myself, 
I am ready
I am ready to leave
I am ready to explore
I am ready to grow
I am ready to be heard
I am ready to fly away
fly far far away...

But wait,
I heard a voice holding me back.
In Chinese she says,
daughter,
don't go too far
this family can not afford to lose you
your little brother needs you
I am not ready to let you go
the world is too dangerous
I need keep you by my side
so I can watch over you
don't go too far

I took her words into my heart,
but I excused myself:
Mother, please let me go.
let me go out to the world
so I can learn to protect you
I will be back
I promise.

Six weeks into OTE,
I realize that the world is so big,
that I can never understand how each and every of you
rises above your hardships and survives to make it to OTE
I may not understand, 
but I can listen.
I can try to feel how you feel.
In a community with 47 other OTE scholars,
every single day,
I learned from 47 different personalities.

I remembered the first time when a scholar shared with me her story
in the green line back to Boston.
The ride felt longer than usual,
because I was exposed to a heartfelt conversation
that I rarely experience

The strength in her voice,
and the passion in her eyes,
painted her face with angelic beauty.
I told her
I can never understand what you went through
but I promise to be your support.
I may not be there in the past,
but I promise I will be there for you in the future.

That was actually the moment when OTE is no longer just a summer program,
OTE is my new family. 
Just as I promise my mother,
I decided to protect every friend that I meet at OTE, and at Boston College.
Because I believe that everyone is beautiful.
We all deserve to be beautiful.

First part of the poem that I performed today.
To be continued... :)
until I type up that other half... heheee








2 comments:

  1. My Yanyi is growing up. So Happy for you :)
    Love
    Dongwa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poem is so touching that I wanna read it again and again and again......... Wonderful poem :)
    Dongwa

    ReplyDelete